The 2014 Legislative Session may only last a few months, but policymakers should make the most of that time with decisions that move Minnesota closer to a future where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and share in our state’s economic prosperity.
Policymakers can move toward that goal by building on the tax and budget choices made in the 2013 Legislative Session that made the state’s tax system fairer and raised new revenues to invest in our economic future.
Here are our top five actions that policymakers can take to build a strong future for all Minnesotans:
- Expand access to affordable, quality health care for more Minnesotans by preserving MinnesotaCare, developing opportunities for Minnesotans without health insurance, and reducing racial health disparities.
- Increase Minnesota’s minimum wage.
- Improve the Working Family Tax Credit.
- Pursue fairness and sustainability in Minnesota’s tax system, including avoiding large tax cuts that put at risk the state’s ability to fund its priorities.
- Make responsible budget choices that include building more adequate reserves and including the impact of inflation in the state’s economic forecasts.
You can see our entire policy agenda and analyses on our website.